"Gaspésie's top fall event!" Le Soleil newspaper
For those who wish to feel the pulse of Québécois, Gaspesian and Acadian cultures, Festival La Virée in Carleton-sur-Mer is the place to be! Enjoy this fun fall festival, between sea and mountains!
Since 2001, Festival La Virée in Carleton-sur-Mer has been showcasing Québec’s traditional arts through professional shows by traditional storytellers, musicians and dancers; the largest public market in the region, with over 40 local food producers and artisans; an outdoor stage during the day; an evening of traditional dancing; an exhibit; demonstrations of traditional crafts under a festival tent; children’s programming; and workshops, which give festival-goers an opportunity to meet the artisans.
Take advantage of Indian summer in the heart of the Chaleur Bay region to attend the intergenerational Festival La Virée. Young and old alike will enjoy this festival featuring about 30 traditional cultural activities, of which about two thirds are free.
Date(s)October 7 to 9, 2016
CostFrom $5 to $20, depending on the show; about 20 activities are free. Various packages are also available.
ReservationsRequired for some shows
- Childrens playground
- Picnic area
- Restaurant or snack bar
- Free parking
How to get there
Take Route 132 to the village of Carleton-sur-Mer. Free camping at the municipal campground (with water and electric hookups) for festival goers.
Affiliations and distinctions
- Regional Network of Event Organizers (ROSEQ)
- Gaspésie Cultural Council
- Independent Network of United Performing Arts Presenters (RIDEAU)
- Québec Council for Living Heritage (CQPV)
- Tourisme Gaspésie
- Named Arts Presenter of the Year (via Maximum 90) from among the mid-sized arts presenters that are members of ROSEQ (2007)
- Regional winner of a Québec Tourism Award in the "Tourist Event – Operating Budget under $1 Million" category (2003)