Why ski with us?
Treat yourself to a personalized backcountry ski trip in the Chic-Choc Mountains! We will plan together a trip adapted to your rhythm, ski level, physical condition and expectations. Whether you are completely new to backcountry skiing or very experienced, our qualified and passionate guides will offer you an experience that will meet your expectations.
- Ability to ski on intermediate to expert slopes
- All fitness levels
- No backcountry experience required
We are the only company authorized to operate in the Mines Madeleine area, which means you can enjoy extraordinary days in a ski area at the heart of the Chic-Chocs. This sector is located 12 km (7 mi.) from the nearest access road (Route 299) and requires an ascent of 650 metres (2135 feet). Since this approach would require a full day of skiing, Ski Chic-Chocs will take you up the mountain on a snowmobile in about 30 minutes. In addition, the altitude of the various summits in the Mines Madeleine area reaches 1180 metres (3870 feet)! They are thus beyond the treeline, in an alpine environment. You will then ski in an environment where the vegetation gives way to vast snowfields. The different types of terrain offer a good challenge to all types of skiers.
We ski in the following areas: Parc national de la Gaspésie, the Réserve faunique des Chic-Chocs and along the Haute-Gaspésie coast. We will select an area based on snow conditions, avalanche risk and weather conditions.
What does a typical day with the Ski Chic-Chocs team look like?
- Meeting at 8:30 a.m. at the Discovery and Visitors Centre in Parc national de la Gaspésie (40 km / 25 mi. from Sainte-Anne-des-Monts; 300 metres / 985 feet from the Auberge du Gîte du Mont-Albert)
- Evaluation by the guide of weather conditions, snow conditions and avalanche risk; selection of suitable terrain with group’s input
- Avalanche safety equipment provided to each participant, with a demonstration of how to use it
- Transportation to the ski area using a sled pulled by a snowmobile (Mines Madeleine area) or with your car (other areas)
- Skinning ascent (45 minutes to 1.5 hours) by skis or splitboard
- Descents (2 to 5) with vertical drops ranging from 300 to 600 metres (985 to 1970 feet) in a wild and undeveloped ski area
- Arrival back at the Discovery and Visitors Centre in Parc national de la Gaspésie at about 4 p.m.
Note that you must be prepared to spend a full day outdoors (no shelters or huts are available; lunch will be eaten outside).
Winter Activities Available
How to get there
From Québec City: 510 km / 315 mi. (6 h)
From Montréal: 750 km / 465 mi. (9 h)
From Mont-Joli: 150 km / 95 km (2 h)
From Matane: 70 km / 45 mi. (45 min)
Affiliations and distinctions
- Tourisme Gaspésie
- Aventure Écotourisme Québec
- Sépaq partner
- Has received the AEQ Seal, which certifies that the company adhere to high quality and safety standards established by adventure tourism and ecotourism professionals in Québec