The Québec maritime Blog
Every year, the Bas-Saint-Laurent, Gaspésie and Côte-Nord regions delight snowmobile enthusiasts! Did you know that, in addition to being renowned for their spectacular scenery, these regions of Eastern Québec have a reputation for being very safe snowmobile destinations? Keep reading to find out why!
1. Not only are the trails in these three regions connected to each other, but they’re also very clearly marked! The entire Québec snowmobile trail network is managed by the Québec Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (FCMQ), which ensures that trail signage is standardized. By complying with this signage, you’ll be sure to ride in the right places and can easily follow your itinerary throughout the 6000 km (3700 mi.) of trails found in Eastern Québec.
2. Trail permits include liability insurance! You probably already know that you need a trail permit to ride the province’s snowmobile trails, but did you know that this permit includes liability insurance up to $2 million? This Québec-specific measure will make your trip planning much easier and will save you a lot of worry in the event of an accident.
3. The FCMQ’s interactive trail map lets you check trail conditions before you set off for the day. Updated regularly by local clubs, this map shows you which trails are open or closed as well as their general condition (grooming status, snowfall levels, etc.). You can also use the map to plan your itinerary and find information about the services available near the trails.
4. Other maps are also available for areas without Internet access. The iMotoneige app offers much the same functionality as the interactive map and can be consulted without a cell phone signal. You can also order free paper snowmobile trail maps for each of our regions on our website.
5. Our regions are home to many snowmobile clubhouses! Particularly useful during long-distance trips, these are ideal places to warm up and may also offer food, gas and lodging. When planning your trip, make sure you take into account the services available at each location.
6. Numerous towns and villages in our regions offer services accessible by snowmobile. In fact, many of the local, regional and sometimes even Trans-Québec snowmobile trails pass through various municipalities, allowing you to ride directly to lodging establishments, restaurants, service stations, garages and more. These services are easy to find on snowmobile maps, regardless of the type of map you’re using.
7. The regions of Bas-Saint-Laurent, Gaspésie and Côte-Nord all offer snowmobile-friendly accommodations with garages or secure parking. And what could be better, after a long day of riding, than to enjoy a good night’s sleep, knowing your precious sled is well protected? Find out more about the various services available at each establishment when you make your reservations.
8. Various snowmobile dealers are scattered across our territory. They are very useful in the event of mechanical breakdown (or if you just need to buy some fancier gear!), and most of them are listed on the FCMQ’s interactive map. Local snowmobile clubs* can also help you locate the nearest dealer.
There’s no doubt about it: the regions of Eastern Québec are great places to enjoy your favourite winter activity in complete safety! Use these tools and information to plan your snowmobile trip now and have a great snowmobiling season!
*Click on the white list icon in the middle of the page to display lists of the clubs by region. You can then click on a club name for contact information.